Thanks for taking some time to review our Terms and Conditions page to better understand the rules for enjoying our site.
Our Terms and Conditions
The Terms (short for Terms and Conditions) are a legally binding contract between you and Jewel and Lotus.
This contract sets out your rights and responsibilities when you use the Services provided by Jewel and Lotus, so please read it carefully. By using our Services (or even just browsing our website), you’re agreeing to these Terms. If you don’t agree with the Terms, you may not use our Services. If you require any further clarity or have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to send us an email.
Ethical Vendor (Seller) Terms
Jewel and Lotus is a Global Community and Ethical Marketplace for a Better World. Our Ethical Vendors make up a Global Community of artisans, small businesses and non-profit organizations that are approved and then invited by Jewel and Lotus to join our Kula (community). If you use our Service to list your products, these Terms apply to you.
Our Ethical Vendors are approved on the criteria outlined in our Shop Guidelines.
Our Ethical Vendors align with our Vision for a Better World and are actively working to uphold it.
If a product is added that is deemed inappropriate or not in line with our Ethical Criteria, Jewel and Lotus reserves the right to remove this product without prior notice. As an Ethical Vendor and representative of our Kula, you are expected to maintain you and your brands good standards through your conduct and use of our Services. It is expected that you will:
- Provide honest and accurate information of you and your brand.
- Honor your Shop Policies, if you decide to list any.
- Accurately represent and display your items in your listings and your listing photos.
- Respect the intellectual property rights of others.
You will most likely receive a buyer’s email address or other information as a result of them purchasing your product. This information may only be used for Jewel and Lotus -related communications. You may not use this information for unsolicited commercial messages or unauthorized transactions. Without the buyer’s explicit consent, you may not add any Jewel and Lotus member or customer to your email or physical mailing list, store list or misuse any of their payment information.
Continued Quality Service
We expect our Ethical Vendors to continue and provide a high level of customer service. By selling on Jewel and Lotus, you agree to:
- Honor your shipping policies. Sellers are obligated to ship an item or otherwise complete a transaction with a buyer in a prompt manner, unless there is an exceptional circumstance.
- Respond to Customers when necessary and in a timely manner.
- Honor the commitments you make in your shop policies.
- Resolve disagreements or disputes directly with the buyer. In the unlikely event that you can’t reach a resolution, you may contact us directly via email.
- If you are unable to complete an order, you must notify the buyer and cancel the order.
In the event that you cannot complete a transaction, the buyer AND JEWEL AND LOTUS must be notified. If the buyer already submitted payment, you must issue a full refund. You are encouraged to keep proof of any refunds in the event a dispute arises.
You may cancel a transaction under the following circumstances:
- The buyer did not finish payment.
- Both you and the buyer agree to cancel the transaction prior to shipment, and you have issued the buyer a full refund.
- Both you and the buyer agreed that the buyer could return the item for a refund, you have received the returned item and issued a refund to the buyer for the item. (Refunding shipping is optional).
We ask buyers to contact our Ethical Vendors directly and attempt to resolve any outstanding issues before involving Jewel and Lotus in the discussion. For this reason, it is important that you fill out your shop policies and regularly respond to communications from your buyers. Of course, Jewel and Lotus is here to help guide you as best we can in making the appropriate decisions.
In the case that a refund is to be issued, Jewel and Lotus will release the 5% transaction fee directly to the customer via PayPal.
Welcome shoppers to our Global Community and Ethical Marketplace for a better world. This site is an extension of our hopes and dreams. It’s one of our hopes that you enjoy your experience while browsing and shopping Jewel and Lotus. Below are our Terms, which you must understand and abide by while using our Site and Services.
Jewel and Lotus Doesn’t Sell Product
Jewel and Lotus provides a venue for buyers to find, learn about, and enter into transactions with Ethical Vendors from around the world. One important distinction to make clear is that Jewel and Lotus is not a part of that transaction. By shopping on Jewel and Lotus, you understand that:
- You are not buying directly from Jewel and Lotus, but from one of our approved and invited Ethical Vendors.
- Each Ethical Vendor has their own processing times, shipping methods and shop policies and you should familiarize yourself with these prior to entering into a transaction with them.
In such an event that you find an item inappropriate or offensive, please contact us via email.
Making a Purchase on Jewel and Lotus
When you buy from an Ethical Vendor on Jewel and Lotus, you’re supporting artisans and entrepreneurs who have their own small businesses. Each Ethical Vendor has it’s own unique listings, policies and processing times, By making a purchase from an Ethical Vendor on Jewel and Lotus, you agree that you:
- Have read the item description and shop policies before making a purchase.
- Have submitted appropriate payment for item(s) purchased.
- Have provided accurate shipping information to the seller.
Requesting a Cancellation
Buyers may request that a seller cancel an order via email (but Jewel and Lotus must be included on the email) or via Jewel Chat. Only our Ethical Vendors have the right to cancel an order.
Returning an Item
Each Ethical Vendor has their own return policies, which should be outlined in their Shop Policies. It’s not required that all Ethical Vendors accept returns, however it is required that they follow their local and federal laws in setting these policies (if you live in the European Union you may be entitled to a 14-day “cooling off period”).
Maintaning Your Privacy
An Account with Jewel and Lotus
It’s not required to create an account with Jewel and Lotus to use some of our Services (like shopping) but you will be required to create an account to use others (like becoming a vendor or recommending a brand). Here are a few rules about accounts with Jewel and Lotus:
- You must be 18 or older to use our Services. Otherwise, you may only use our Services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian.
- Choose the right username. A username that is offensive, vulgar, or infringes someone’s intellectual property rights violates the Terms.
- Tell us the truth. Provide accurate information about yourself. It’s not OK to use false information or impersonate another person or company through your account.
- It’s your account and you’re responsible for it. You’re solely responsible for any activity on your account. If you’re sharing an account with other people, then the person whose billing information is on the account will ultimately be responsible for all activity. If you’re registering as a business entity, you personally guarantee that you have the authority to agree to the Terms on behalf of the brand/business.
- Your accounts are not transferable. You can’t transfer ownership of your account to someone else.
- Keep your password safe. You’re solely responsible for any activity that occurs on your account, so it’s important to keep your account password secure. We’ll make sure to do our best as well!
- Be clear about our relationship. Creating an account with Jewel and Lotus or using our Services makes you an independent contractor with Jewel and Lotus. No agency, partnership, joint venture, employment or franchisee relationship with Jewel and Lotus is intended or created by the Terms. It’s a bunch of big words and terms, but it’s really important we’re clear about that from the start 🙂
Content that you post onto Jewel and Lotus using our Services is considered your content. We don’t make any claim to owning it. That includes anything you post using our Services (like usernames, shop names, profile pictures, listing photos, listing descriptions, reviews, comments, videos, etc.). For these reasons, we feel it’s important we lay out the following Terms:
You are Responsible for Your Content. You are solely responsible for your cContent. You represent that you have all necessary rights to posting your content and that you’re not infringing or violating any third party’s rights by posting it.
We Have Permission to Use Your Content. By posting your content through Jewel and Lotus, you grant us a license to use it. We know we don’t own your content and we’ll never claim to do so, but we do have your permission to use it so that we can become a better and more effective Global Community and Ethical Marketplace. We think it’s a win-win, but this way we can be clear so we don’t infringe on any rights you have with your content.
Let Us Know of Any Unauthorized Content. If content that you own or have rights to has been posted through our Services or on our Website without your permission and you want it removed, please notify us via email immediately. If your content infringes another person’s intellectual property, we will remove it (if/when we receive proper notice to do so). Of course we’ll notify you in the event that this occurs.
Something Doesn’t Look Right. Something may be posted that we just don’t want on Jewel and Lotus. By agreeing to our Terms you agree that you will not post any content that is abusive, threatening, defamatory, obscene, vulgar or otherwise offensive or in violation of any part of our Terms. In a case that Jewel and Lotus feels you have posted content that falls into one of these negative classifications, we reserve the right to remove your content without notice or warning. You also agree not to post any content that is false and misleading or uses our Services in a manner that is illegal, fraudulent or deceptive.
Using Our Services
By agreeing to our terms and using our Site, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable and revocable license to use our Services. You must of course agree to our terms… especially the ones below.
- Don’t Break the Law. We’re all Ethical here and working towards a better world. Please don’t use our Service in any way that is illegal (on a local, state or federal level). We do our best to monitor the site but we also need to trust you will do good while using our Service.
- Don’t Steal Our Stuff. Your content posted on our site belongs to you. That is it. Don’t take or repost other peoples content and pass it off as your own. If you wish to repost someone else’s content, you must first receive their explicit consent to do so. You must also not take or use any Jewel and Lotus material without first our explicit written consent to do so.
- Hackers and Bug Deployers Stay Clear. Please don’t bother us. We’re trying to make the world a better place. We hope you choose to help us and not hurt us in doing so!
Terminating Your Account
You May Want to Leave Us. Of course we hate to see you go, but this is your choice. Please send us an email to let us know you would no longer like to have an account with us and we will terminate the account on your behalf. We will notify you by email when termination has been completed. In this event, all your content will also be deleted from our site.
We May Need to Cut Ties. It’s also possible this relationship may not be working from our end. For whatever the reason(s) may be, we reserve the right to terminate your account at any time and without advanced notice. If this happens, you no longer have a contractual or legal right to continue to use our Services. All your content and information with your account will also be permanently deleted.
We May Need to Change Things Up. Change isn’t always easy, but Jewel and Lotus reserves the right to change, suspend or discontinue any of our Services at any time, for any reason. We will not be liable to you for the effect that any changes to the Services may have on you, including your income or your ability to generate revenue through the Services. In all honesty, none of our decisions will ever be made with the intention to hurt you or your business. So we ask that you trust our decisions will be made with your best interest at heart!
The Terms Survive. Even after your access to the Service is terminated, or your use of the Service has been discontinued. This is an important way we can continue to protect ourselves.
Limitation Of Our Liability
Vendor Products – Jewel and Lotus is a Venue, which brings together Ethical Buyers and Ethical Sellers. All our Ethical Vendors are independent sellers. While we do our absolute best to vet all Ethical Vendors, we cannot and do not make any claims or warranties about their products. Any legal claim related to an item you purchase on Jewel and Lotus must be made directly against the seller of the item. You release Jewel and Lotus from ANY and ALL claims related to items sold through our Services.
User Content – While we do our best to screen and monitor the content posted by others, it’s possible something may slip past us. For this reason, you release Jewel and Lotus from all liability relating to content posted by other users on our website.
Interacting with People – Jewel and Lotus is an online Global Community. Through our web services you have the ability to interact with other users. Because we cannot screen all of our users, you release Jewel and Lotus from any liability relating to your interactions with other users on and outside of our website.
We hope this never happens, but if you get us sued, you shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Jewel and Lotus from all third party liabilities, claims, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, that arise from or relate to (a) your use or misuse of, or access to, the Site, Services or Content; (b) your User Content; (c) your violation of these Terms and Conditions; or (d) infringement by you, or any third party using your Account or identity in the Services, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will assist and cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
If for some reason you are upset with us, the best thing to do is email us and let us know. Most likely we will be able to resolve the issue together or perhaps talking over some tea. If we can’t come to an agreement, then these rules will govern any legal dispute involving our services:
The Applicable Law: The Terms and Conditions and any legal action taken against us shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of New Jersey and as those laws apply to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within New Jersey, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
Arbitration: You agree that any claim or dispute arising from or relating to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions must be resolved by an appropriate federal or state court located in the County of Bergen, New Jersey. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located in the County of Bergen, New Jersey for the purpose of litigating any claim or dispute you have with or bring against Jewel and Lotus.
Statute of Limitations: You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action herein arising out of or related to use of this Site or the Terms and Conditions must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.
Changing the Terms
It’s a fact that change is a part of life! Therefore, you must expect that from time to time we will change and update these Terms and Conditions to better reflect what is needed for Jewel and Lotus. If the change is deemed by us to be material, we’ll notify you via email. This way you can decide whether you want to continue using our Services. We’ll also make all updates to the Terms and Conditions available in our Change Log.
Changes will be effective immediately upon the posting of the changes. It is your responsibility for reviewing and becoming familiar with the Terms and any changes. Your use of the Services following the changes constitutes your acceptance of the updated Terms. Thank you!
Entire Agreement and Severability
These Terms and Conditions laid out here which also includes any supplemental terms, rules, policies, or procedures posted or provided by us are the entire agreement between you and Jewel and Lotus with respect to the Services, including use of the Site. This entire agreement supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and Jewel and Lotus with respect to the Services.
If for some reason any of these provisions are deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that condition shall be eliminated to the minimum extent necessary and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provision.
If you have any questions about the terms and conditions please contact us via email at email@example.com.